Are you interested in organising an event for your local community? Then why not consider organising a Community Games!
Community Games provide a great opportunity for you to bring your community together to take part in sporting and cultural activities inspired by the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
A Community Games event must include both sporting and cultural activities, and some sort of ceremony, this could be an opening or closing ceremony, or could just be a welcome speech, it is entirely up to you. Your event could involve an element of competition; or it could focus simply on getting people participating in sports or cultural activities they might never have tried before.
The important thing is that each event will be shaped by those involved and be about what that community wants to do.
Your community could be your street, your estate, colleagues at work, a 'friends of' group from your local park, your children's school the list goes on. You could, in fact, form a new community.
If you want to organise a Community Games, you will have access to the following support free of charge:
- The biggest help to you will probably be the Community Games toolkit, which you will get access to once you have registered your interest via the website. It contains loads of useful information and tips for organising an event. The answers to many of the detailed questions that you'll probably have when you start to think about organising an event can all be found in the toolkit.
- We've also got free workshops on how to organise and promote your Games, where you'll be able to meet other people planning their Games and share ideas with them. If you don’t want to attend a workshop we have a 3 hour online tutorial you may wish to do instead.
- We'll be keeping you up-to-date with an e-newsletter every so often with information and news on what's happening across England.
- We'll help you promote your Games by giving you a page on the web site, and our designers have produced some eye-catching posters and leaflets for you to personalise and use to help promote your Games.
- You will also be given bunting, banners, stickers and volunteer t-shirt to use.
I am interested in being involved, what do I need to do next?
If you are interested in organising a Community Games event, or would just like more information, please go to www.communitygames.org.uk
where you can find out more and register your interest.
If you already have your event details sorted, you can register your games
to take advantage of the support on offer.
Alternatively, for more information on organising Community Games events in the Black Country, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
or 01384 471139