Coach Core Apprenticeships
What is Coach Core?
Coach Core is an apprenticeship programme that helps young people (16-24 years old) who are not in education, employment or training (NEETs) to build a career. The programme was launched in 2012 to help form part of the legacy of the Olympic Games. Coach Core aims to:
exciting and meaningful places of employment, via regional consortiums, that
give young people the best possible chance of success during and after the
- enhance the coaching offer in challenging communities by providing young, relatable and high quality role models.
Coach Core Black Country
Active Black Country has placed the need to develop a workforce reflective of local communities high on its strategic priorities.
We are working in partnership with The Royal Foundation, and will lead on the delivery of the Coach Core apprenticeship programme across the region.
The aim, working with a group of local employers, is to recruit 20 new apprentices to complete the Level 2 Community Activator Coach apprenticeship standard and deliver high quality sports and physical activity sessions across the region.
We will bring together a consortium of employers
who will benefit from employing an apprentice to deliver on their sports,
physical activity, health and community programmes and will be able to support
the development of a new cohort of the sports and physical activity workforce
in the Black Country.
How does the Apprenticeship Programme Work?
Impact to Date
- Nearly 300 graduates have come through the
programme, with 200 currently on Coach Core.
- 94% completion rate, with 99% in full-time
employment, education or further training.
- 80% of graduates have remained with their
original employer (mainly in part-time or voluntary positions).
- 80 different partners are involved across 10 UK sites – over 30,000 coaching sessions and 350,000+ coaching interactions take place per year across the Coach Core programme.
Benefits for the Employers
- Solid benefits to work in a wider consortium,
the UK Coach Core network plus aligning with The Royal Foundation and selected
- A high quality, robust young coach workforce reflective
of the needs of the local community.
- Mentor training for employer staff to support
the development of the apprentices.
- A consistent, quality coaching resource across
the 15 month period that represents solid economic value and a new coaching
- Can be used to expand current operations or be readied to lead on new projects.
Commitment from Employers
- A formal place of employment for 15 months with
a commitment to salary and on-costs.
- A package of employment benefits and rights akin
to any other employee.
- 30 hours of sports coaching and additional duties
per week (including one-day education).
- Guidance, mentoring and support both in their
coaching duties and the wider workplace.
- A business plan that details the above as well
as how any funding will be spent.
- Monthly summary reports to evidence apprentice
progress and impact.
- Commitment to attend partner meetings where required and contribute to the consortium with available resources, training and events that can benefit the wider team.
If you would like to find out more about becoming an employer on this programme please email Sanjay Bensal or call Sanjay on 01384 471113.