We believe that it is every resident’s right to be active and play sport.
As part of the Government School Sport Action Plan, we are one of 19 Active Partnerships who have been successful in securing funding from Sport England to deliver the Opening Schools Facilities Programme to widen access for pupils and local communities to participate in physical activity by supporting schools to open their sports facilities outside of the school day.
The story so far
131 schools from across the Black Country responded to the Opening Schools Facilities Survey conducted in December 2019, with the aim of identifying schools that do not use, or only have limited access to their school sports facilities outside of the school day, and identifying the barriers to opening up their premises and to begin to facilitate solutions to support schools to open to the local community.
We will be working to ensure the development of a strong and varied offer of sport and physical activity that appeals to young people and communities, meeting local need from within more accessible school facilities. Work will focus on the least active and those from less affluent backgrounds and underrepresented groups.
We’re seeking to understand:
- Schools that are open for community use and how we can and offer support to improve usage and community engagement.
- Schools that are currently not open outside of school hours but are interested in exploring the possibility.
As part of this programme, we offer the following support to Primary, Secondary and Special Schools:
- Funded pilot opportunity trialling an alternative approach to opening facilities between April- August 2020
- Access satellite club seed funding to expand schools extra-curricular offer to children aged 11- 19
- One to one and workshop funding application support
- Brokerage of community delivery and provision
- “Use our School” resource
- Development of a locally focussed toolkit to provide support to all schools across the Black Country
To find out more
If you are interested in finding out more about the programme and what support Active Black Country can offer your school; please contact:
Richard Bradford on firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01384 471110